Tuesday, December 9, 2008

ANC Lives ANC Leads

As all the other times before the elections, the surveys by various institutions are making headlines on telling the people how they feel according to their surveys. Others have been wrong before, but this does not deter them in contesting the attention of the South African public to make their predictions again, hoping to be right this time.

I am yet to meet a person who will say to me "They called me and asked about my voting preference", or one who will say "I know a sister of a friend of a friend of my girlfriends' cousin who was asked her voting preferences for the survey published in the Sunday paper." We can't blame those institutions with their surveys. It is what their Marketing and Communication Managers are paid for.

That aside, I always prefer to go door-to-door in people's houses to ask them to vote for the ANC. After that I go and vote, then wait for the results. Since 1994 I always enjoy the announcement of results. In 2004 it got even better after the ANC won in KwaZulu Natal. This election season I intend doing the same. In fact on the registration weekend of 8th and 9th November 2008, I spent the whole of both days knocking in people's houses. I joined my comrades in doing this exercise. I was convinced that I smell or taste better than my comrades because each time a dog barks at us, it will follow me as we retreat until it was called back by the people we are visiting.

Mine was not a survey, but I know that event though people raised their reservations about certain things about the ANC, the overwhelming majority of the houses we visited have confidence in the ANC.

The trend of previous Election results is as follows;

1994 - 62.65%
1999 - 66.35%
2004 - 69.69%
2009 - ?

We will only know the 2009 percentage after the elections. While some of us continue to compaign for the ANC victory others will keep trying to predict the results to get the satisfaction of having been proved correct. We will get the satisfaction of having won the elections, again.

Foward to the 2009 Elections!

Aluta Continua!

No comments: